Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Coming home from Cedar Breaks

On our way back from Cedar Breaks we decided that we would go up to the peak to get more pictures from the top of the mountain.  We had about an hour before lunch so we thought we had time, little did we know what was coming.  On the top of the peak we ended up sliding as we were trying to turn around and slide off the road.  John kept trying to get us out with little hope, not even so much as a budge.

Then some people came up and tried to get to us to help but could not even get their car up to us so they turned around and left.  Then a Jeep came and tried to pull us for about 1 hour and had not luck.  
By this time Stan and Carol, who are at the cabin with Ashtyn waiting for us, had called the police to come and save us.  The police came in a big Dodge truck to try to pull us out.  While they were pulling, the rope snapped off their truck and hooked right into the taillight.  Did I mention that we were not in our car; we were in John's parent's car.

So at that point we had missed lunch and had been up there for a couple of hours.  
Eric decided that he would just take a nap because it didn't seem like he would need to be in his car seat anytime soon.

The police said that we would have to call the tow truck from Cedar City to come up and get us.  An hour later when the tow truck got there he tried to pull us out and of course failed.  When a tow truck cannot pull you out, you know you have a serious problem.  
So John and the tow truck driver started to dig out all of the rocks from under the car using a shovel and a crow bar.  

Some people in a truck stopped and two big guys came to help, which saved us.  They also let Eric and I go get in their car to stay warm with their wife/mom who fed Eric and I fruit and candy (we had long missed lunch by this time).  After digging out rocks for 2 hours they finally got us out and two truck was able to do the rest.

Once we paid the two truck guy, who charged us $157 an hour including the hour drive to and from Cedar City and the two hours of digging out rocks (you do the math) we were finally able to go home.  Stan and Carol were very happy when we came back safely, although I am sure that they will think twice next they let us borrow their car.

While we were stuck I was thinking about some of the conference talks that were shared during general conference.  I couldn't help but think about those that shared stories of serious struggles and it made me feel so grateful that we were safe.  I also recall a talk about being able to laugh about your life struggles, I think that one might come with time and far after we have paid for the credit card bill.

8 comments:

Amy F. said...

Oh my heck!! For real?? What an ordeal. I mean sliding off the road happens, you know, to the best of 'em, but what luck to be stuck like THAT! I mean that is as bad as it gets as far as getting stuck goes.
I'm glad you guys were all okay. You guys are troopers too -I bet it was freezing!
(And it makes a good story ;)-kidding

Ashley and Matt Marx said...

That sucks. I am glad you finnally got out okay.
Yesterday I was riding my bike home from Story Time and one of the trailer tires popped it was a slow ride home. Good workout.

Jennie Z said...

Ouch on the bill! Glad you guys are safe. What a scary situation!

Marci said...

Wow, that was one expensive expedition! I can't believe the tow truck charged that much an hour! That is a bummer deal...but most importantly I'm glad that you were all safe in the end!

Reid and Laura said...

Don't you love having husbands that like to explore?? What a fun disaster. I love your blog. Glad to see you are doing well.

Heidi said...

Talk about a sticky situation! At least Eric got a nap in while waiting!

Reid and Laura said...

John, I have sooo been there. Don't feel too bad I've done the same thing, not once but twice. And once the tow truck broke his cable trying to get us out. Reid

Marci said...

John-
Thanks for the nice comments about my book! That really means a lot to me that you would take the time to tell me how much you enjoy it! THANK YOU! I'm also glad you enjoyed my blog. I must say I love looking at your guys' blog and seeing the pictures of your adorable family! What a blessing to have such a great family!
As for Clay...he is my good friend here in St. George. We get along well. Anyways, thanks again...I really need to visit you guys!