Sunday, September 7, 2008

Grateful!

Today I thought I would just jot down a few things that I was thinking about while at church. First, I want to say how grateful I am for the gospel in my life. When I go to church I feel the spirit so strong, and feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the upcoming week, and whatever it may hold for me. This Sunday I felt that same spirit, and it was even stronger then usual (I think it is really trying to tell me something).

I don't know what everyone else learned about in relief society, but in our lesson we went over Sister Julie Becks talk on "Mothers Who Know". I have heard this talk, and read it a few different times, but today knew things stood out to me as we were talking about it as a class. The first point that the teacher brought up was the 2,000 stripling warriors, which is how Sister Beck starts out her talk. In the scripture Alma 56:48 these young men paid tribute to their mothers stating, "We do not doubt our mothers knew it." The different angle that I was thinking about is linking fear and doubt together. It is a little bit difficult for me to explain but I will do my best. One of my biggest fears right now is public schools. I know that an obvious solution to this problem would be home schooling, however, I do not think that homeschooling would be for Eric or me for that matter. When I was thinking about the mothers of the 2,000 stripling warriors I wondered if they would have feared public school as well, and the conclusion that I came to was, no they would not have. The stripling warriors fought a physical battle, and their mothers watched them leave with faith that the Lord would protect them. Our children will be fighting a spiritual battle, which can be even more dangerous then physical battles. I need to be more like those mothers who did not doubt. I need to have faith that as long as I am teaching my children in our home the principles and doctrines of the gospel I need to have faith and get rid of the doubt and fear. I need to believe that the Lord will protect them if I am doing what I am supposed to be doing as their mother that knows. Fear and doubt come from Satan and I need to replace it with faith, which is the opposite of fear.

I really wanted to remember what I was thinking that is why I wrote it down. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that loves me so much. I know that I am a daughter of God and that means so much to me. A sister in the relief society today said that, "self esteem is really knowing that you are a child of God." I love this because I can still remember when I did not have any self esteem at all. I now personally know that my Heavenly Father knows me and loves me as well as all of his children.

4 comments:

melissamarchant said...

This post was very inspiring Kare! Thanks for that! I agree with your thoughts on fear, why is it we allow Satan into our thoughts like that? I also love Julie Becks talk, she is amazing. Love you!

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marci said...

Karen-
Thanks for sharing that testimony. I really liked your insight. It is so true that the children of today are fighting a spiritual battle, and we just need to teach them and have faith. I also believe that when we know we are children of God...we know who we are and outside influences won't affect our view of ourselves as being of divine worth. Thank you so much for sharing...it really touched me.

Jennie Z said...

Thanks for uplifting me today by sharing your testimony! It is true that by knowing who we are and that we are doing what we can to preparem we shouldn't need to fear. Thanks for your thoughts!